Living Tiny

There are some key elements to living in a tiny house, either a tiny house on wheels (THOW) or tiny house on foundation (THOF). These are described below.

Also read the Tiny House Planning Resource by ESC Consulting.

To see links and information by state or territory instead click this button :

icon circle_truck.png

Road Rules and Vehicle Regulations

The Australian Government maintains jurisdiction over road vehicles up to the point of first supply to the Australian market (i.e. manufacture or importation). Once a vehicle has been supplied to the market, it is “in-service”. State and Territory Governments are responsible for continued regulation after this point (e.g. vehicle registration, roadworthiness and the approval of modifications to vehicles in-service).

The Australian Design Rules (ADRs) are national standards for vehicle safety, anti-theft and emissions. The ADRs are generally performance based and cover issues such as occupant protection, structures, lighting, noise, engine exhaust emissions, braking and a range of miscellaneous items.

icon circle_tools.png

Building Regulations

The current edition of the Building Code of Australia (BCA) references approximately 160 Australian and International Standards. Typically each year, the BCA is updated and released in May by the Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB).

The National Construction Code (NCC) is given legal effect by relevant legislation in each State and Territory. This legislation prescribes or "calls up" the NCC to fulfil any technical requirements that are required to be satisfied when undertaking building work or plumbing and drainage installations.

Each State and Territory's legislation consists of an Act of Parliament and subordinate legislation which empowers the regulation of certain aspects of building work or plumbing and drainage installations, and contains the administrative provisions necessary to give effect to the legislation.

icon circle_location.png

Planning and Dwelling

There are a number of ways in which people live in tiny houses. The ability to live in a tiny house is down to local council regulation and assessment. The primary forms are described below. Please contact your local council for information on your local planning scheme which defines what regulations apply to your area. 

  • Living on land as the only dwelling

  • Living on land as a secondary dwelling

  • Living in a caravan park

  • Living on land with multiple tiny dwellings.